MA in Turkish Studies - Program Objectives
The Turkish Studies MA program at Sabancı University, is the first such interdisciplinary graduate program in Turkey with English language instruction. Its primary purpose is to meet the growing international demand for knowledge about and a deeper understanding of Turkey. With a highly flexible curriculum that capitalizes on the intellectual and scholarly resources available at one of Turkey's leading private universities, Turkish Studies MA program offers students a broad range of courses in History, Political Science, Economics, Cultural Studies, Conflict Resolution, and Visual Arts. In addition, the curriculum also seeks to meet the needs of those international students who wish to learn or improve their command of the Turkish language.
MA in Turkish Studies - Program Outcomes
Common Outcomes of Master’s Programs:
1. Develop the ability to use critical, analytical, and reflective thinking and reasoning.
2. Reflect on social and ethical responsibilities in his/her professional life.
3. Gain experience and confidence in the dissemination of project/research outputs.
4. Work responsibly and creatively as an individual or as a member or leader of a team and in multidisciplinary environments.
5. Communicate effectively by oral, written, graphical and technological means and have competency in English.
6. Independently reach and acquire information, and develop appreciation of the need for continuously learning and updating.
Common Outcomes of Master of Arts Programs in Social Sciences:
7. Develop a thorough knowledge of theories, concepts, and research methods in the field and apply them in research design and data analysis.
8. Assess the impact of the economic, social, and political environment from a global, national and regional level.
9. Know how to access written and visual, primary and secondary sources of information, interpret concepts and data from a variety of sources in developing disciplinary and interdisciplinary analyses.
Program Specific Outcomes of Master of Arts in Turkish Studies:
10. Have knowledge of a comprehensive and integrated picture of contemporary Turkey, including all its promise and problems.
11. Have knowledge of an up-to-date grasp of the overall shape and basic outlines of the country’s history; the complexity of the multiple and often contradictory strands of its culture; the fundamental structures and emerging dynamics of its economy; and the basic setting, enduring legacies as well as shifting realignments of its politics.
12. Have a sensitive appreciation of the possible paths and choices it faces early in the 21st century.
13. Able to Respond to the international demand for knowledge about the history, culture, languages, politics and economy of Turkey.
14. Able to Independently formulate critical research questions, and pursue them into a deepening knowledge of the subject.
* Click here for detailed Turkish Studies MA program outcomes.